Opt in to ZwiftGPS at my.zwift.com and once again get to see where other riders are in ZwiftMap.
It is just a preview version and as such still missing a few features, but if you have a Windows desktop computer you can download and try the new version.
The only thing I ask you to do is to leave as much feedback as possible as comments here. There will be more preview versions in the coming weeks until it is ready for a normal release, also for macOS.
Download and installation
Download “ZwiftMap Preview”setup-zwiftmap-2.4.0.exe – Downloaded 5182 times – 69.04 MB
Download and run the installer. It updates your old ZwiftMap if you have an older version installed.
How to use it
See the picture gallery at
What is new?
There are several things which are new compared to the ‘official’ version of ZwiftMap on the ZwiftMap page:
- Advanced features using Pcap, sniffing the network traffic between the game and the servers. Besides ZwiftMap you must install Npcap (with the install option WinPcap compatibility)1 on your PC. Then it gives you
- A detailed chatlog with name display
- All metrics in the Metrics window, incl. w/kg
- Metrics updated with same frequency as the in-game display
- Chat log improvements
- Show Ride Ons
- Show personal messages in a different style
- Planned: Different styling for messages from riders nearby and far away
- Map powered by ZwiftGPS
- Use all the features of ZwiftGPS but as an click-through overlay
- Show/hide the different controls in ZwiftGPS with a keyboard shortcut (Windows+Alt+S in Windows and Command+Alt+S in macOS)
- Position and resize the map window as you like (toggle the positioning/resize mode with the keyboard shortcut Windows+Alt+Z in Windows and Command+Alt+Z in macOS )
- Adjust background transparency
- New 2018-10-25: Auto-login to ZwiftGPS (the rider id in the profile – which can also be retrieved automatically from my.zwift.com – is used)
- Several changes to the configuration window
- New 2018-10-25: Get profile (rider ID) automatically from my.zwift.com so the rider ID can be used for auto-login to ZwiftGPS
- Log in to my.zwift.com
- Enable auto login to my.zwift.com (to get your rider profile) and auto close to automatically close the window. my.zwift.com will then briefly open on program launch and close again when the profile has been read. For this to work you must let my.zwift.com remember your username and password.
- New 2018-12-23: Save Zwift username and password to enable automatic login to my.zwift.com
After having thought about it over the summer period and made a few proof of concepts I have more or less decided that ZwiftMap will live on. It seems like there is an audience for this type of game overlay application, in particular the map and chat log parts of it.
I don’t think Zwift will open up for more third party apps in the near future, and definitely not desktop apps – I wouldn’t if it was my company. How would they possibly be able to know and document how personal information is spread and used?
Based on that I have two sources of data for ZwiftMap:
- the log file (this is the fallback solution – it enables a basic map
and chat log)
- the UDP and TCP packages between the game and the server (this is used if a Pcap driver has been installed on the computer – it enables a more up to date map, still with just one’s own position, a full chat log with usernames, and showing metrics such as w/kg, speed, power, etc. just as fast as the HUD elements update in the game itself)
Because the mobile API is off-limits, there is of course no way to access information about other users and show them on the map – except from ZwiftGPS.
By embedding (with full functionality) ZwiftGPS as a map window in ZwiftMap, ZwiftGPS users get the full ZwiftGPS experience whether in a regular browser or directly in a ZwiftMap ‘browser’ as a screen overlay, whatever they prefer. ZwiftGPS opt-in is still required and data is only shown for those who opted in.
Extended functionality with Pcap
Install Npcap (with the install option WinPcap compatibility).
- Changed 2020-10-30 to only recommend Npcap